1.9
Additional Fees
Turnaround Time

After being pleased with six months of Urthbox subscribership, I noticed that the subscription had unexpected renewed itself.I was not too concerned, and asked customer service to please cancel the renewal and refund my $77.

The rep responded to let me know that not only do they not process refunds, but that I should have cancelled the renewal before the 1st of the month when it renewed. I clearly had no idea that it would auto-renew, which she rudely pointed out in her response email (attached image).

Yes, I made a mistake and did not remember to cancel it in time, but blaming the customer and refusing to refund the auto-renewal is a poor way to make money.I will not be buying from this company in the future, and will discourage others from patronizing their services.

Review about: Urthbox Subscription.

I didn't like: Poor service, Scam artists.

Comments

For anyone who is in a similar situation, as I was, here is a critical passage from the "Cancellation" section of the UrthBox Terms & Conditions:

...If you have a multi-month subscription plan and are automatically renewed for the first time, you may cancel that renewed multi-month subscription plan earlier than the plan's full term by sending UrthBox an email at support@urthbox.com within 12 calendar days of the shipment date of the first box under that subscription plan, for a refund of that auto-renewal charge minus the pro-rated charge for the box that was shipped.

- Urthbox Terms & Conditions, Section "Cancellation"; http://www.urthbox.com/terms-w7.php; quote retrieved Feb 28 2017

My story is similar to the OP's: my parents bought my wife and me an UrthBox Groupon for 3 months free.

When I ordered my 3 months, I did not realize that I was starting an ongoing subscription. Just like the OP, I sent an email to customer service asking to cancel and to be refunded the ~$150 they had just pulled from my bank account. And just like the OP, I was told that they would cancel my subscription, but would not refund the auto-renewal, according to their Terms and Conditions.

After reading the Cancellation section of their T&C, I wrote a follow-up email containing the section quoted above.

To their credit, they responded and agreed that I qualified for a refund, minus the first month, which I expected based on the above quote ("a refund of that auto-renewal charge minus the pro-rated charge for the box that was shipped").

So the moral of the story: if your UrthBox auto-renews *for the first time*, but you didn't want to maintain your subscription, send an email to customer service requesting to cancel your subscription and to receive a refund (minus the first month).Might as well send them the T&C quote from above to avoid the step where they say "we don't do refunds".